Friday 24 July 2015

...IN SPACE!!!!

Since attending the BFG tournament at Adepticon last year, I've been building some terrain to make my local games more exciting. Also a good way to fight hobby block that arises when painting miniatures in succession.

Polymorph is great stuff for quick fun projects. It arrives as little white plastic blobs that trun transparent, soft and sticky when dropped into boiling water. Slowly returning to solid white as they cool. It also bonds to acrylic paint.
Early results


The results don't look much like 'traditional' asteroids - polymorph retains its granular structure. Instead they resemble young asteroids forming in the very early solar system which haven't acquired the mass or energy to become molten and form a single fused shape. Totally accurate, trust me, I have a physics degree....
Varying things up by making blobs before hand.
I mixed in larger preprepared blobs of various sizes and finally a plastic crystal from a pot of them I've had for over a decade now and finally found a use for.
Years of waiting

To become an asteroid
I posted the images to the star ranger forum and there a user 'Mr Wood Chuck' suggested leaving the crystal unpainted and lighting it up with an LED. I took this idea and ran with it making the asteroid large enough to hold the batteries required along with several LEDS.
Mentally I was thinking 'Jacket potato sized'
This was my first project using electronics, finally giving me the excuse to buy some wire strippers, which I've wanted since I stopped doing lab. It also allowed me to apply the hours spent in said labs to a practical purpose.
Lights on

The base, a large GW flying stand, lifts out to allow access to the insides to activate the lights or change the batteries.
Glowing from within

From this side

From below

I'm pleased with the results, now to build some more space stations :)

No comments:

Post a Comment