Sunday 26 July 2015

A blade in the back or a whip to the face!

While attending Adepticon, during clandestine dealings involving cake, I was given a voucher for a free Dark Age starter box. 

The Dark Age starter boxes are a serious concentration of ugly. Not cute ugly like a sphynx cat or cool ugly like zombies. Just pure unmitigated 'I do not want this reflected into my eyes' ugly.
The lone (sort of) exception to this, is the outcasts box; which contains several models that will fit into my upcoming secret project.
Winner of the dubious 'least terrible' award. The guy up under the K is about the level of the other starter box sculpts.
Oddly however the level of sculpting for many of the Dark age blister packs is excellent. I selected these two and escaped back to the safety of the UK.
The Warden's demonstration model apparently wasn't ready in time although they had it on display at the show.
X'cess
There is a mould defect with my example of this model as the katana is about half the expected length. I like the results though as a katana is unlikely to survive long in the wastes.
Short reforged katana. My aim when painting the model was to make the clothes look salvaged rather than purpose built.

The redwood was an experiment and I'm pleased with the results. Brown base coat, successive brown-dark red highlights followed by a brown wash.

Other than the large one on the arm I omitted the tears in the body glove. I think it looks less excessive this way.

The Warden
Or thoroughly unpleasant man (TUM), has brought his slave along to the battle with him. I guess this is a reference to Jabba the Hutt and Leia along with an indication of how bad things are in the Dark age universe. I didn't want to go with the obvious Slave Leia colour scheme. Slave Zelda would have been interesting however the way the slaves clothes are posed makes that untenable. My final thoughts on colour scheme were "blue, blue is good".
The leather straps started out yellow which contrasted wonderfully but it would be impossible to justify :(
The eyebrows made all the difference on the slave's face, they started out thick which made her look very masculine. TUM apparently supplies his slaves with tweezers and based on the lack of body hair, shaving facilities.
Six Pack! TUM therefore provides his slaves with regular meals and gym membership. I may have to revise his name.
The six pack isn't sculpted onto the model so I emulated the shape of a pro athlete's based on some googling. Painting the lighter colours over a solid area of darker colour worked much better than adding the fine dark lines directly.

No comments:

Post a Comment